Inventing the Humanities

Monday, May 01, 2006

Project Proposal

I would like to write a manifesto exploring the role of the America's Choice Program and its impact on the public school system. Since I am obliged to teach under these conditions, it has a direct impact on what and how I teach each day. Needless to say, I do not enjoy having to adhere to strict guidelines in my teaching. I feel that my creativity is destroyed and belittled. I hope to write a manifesto that examines how America's Choice is demeaning towards teachers and students. I expect to offer several solutions and possible outcomes that should benefit the children. I think that I will be able to use Garber's A Manifesto for Literary Studies and some newspaper archives, possibly UFT or the New York Times.

3 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger Cynthia B said...

I am not familiar with the America's choice program beyond what you have said about it in classes. However, I also work with a very rigid curriculum that denies me creative freedom. It's both frustrating and it definately hurts the kids. I think this a great topic and I am sure that you will find a lot of support in articles you read.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Jason Tougaw said...

This is a great topic--ideally suited for a manifesto. I think you should spend some time giving readers a very vivid sense of the day-to-day rigidity of the program. Then, remember that manifestos are always about "what next." What would you do differently? I think it will be useful to consult Richard Miller on the question of how to work productively within instituttional constraints.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger elizabeth said...

I too am not familiar with the America's Choice Program, so I would be interested first in finding out about it. In class I do hear others discussing this program, and based on that, it does sound like it is limiting. What are the goals of this program for the student and teacher? It seems like this is a very interesting and controversial topic; should make for good research.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home