Inventing the Humanities

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I also have not "finalized" my project, but I think that I would like to create a manifesto. This is my 6th year teaching English at the high school level, and it amazes me how the students that I have now experience many of the things that I did as a student. The way I teach my students is a combination of my education and life experience, but a big piece of this is reaction/reflection to how I was taught in high school. Some teachers made class so interesting and some teachers made class torture...it seems that my learning happened because of my reaction to my teachers, not necessarily the content taught or the ability to learn, but more in the reaction. Today, I hear this type of thinking from my students; some teachers they are able to "learn" from, and some they are not. I would like to explore how education and life experience affect learning, but to somehow focus on the "how" you learn and not the "what" you learn.

4 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger Cynthia B said...

I think that you and I have the same (or similar) idea of what to write about in a manifesto. I agree with you that student learning is affected by their teachers and how they "like", "get along with", "etc" their teachers. I think this should make for an interesting manifesto.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I am curious as to how you will use these ideas in a manifesto type writing. To me, it seems a little more like an institutional biography. I guess you just need to make sure that your writing is focused and "rants" about the experiences you had and the ones you offer your students. Be sure to provide a possible list of solutions to the problem as well. I do like the topic and I think it really raises some important issues in education.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Jason Tougaw said...

I had a similar response to Cheryl. This *sounds* more like an institutional autobiography than a manifesto. I don't mean you *should* write one or the other, but I'd also be curious about why you've chosen the manifesto and where you might head with it.

That said, it sounds like you're really writing about teaching style. True? I think it would be really interesting to consider how teaching styles affect student learning. How does the personality and disposition of a teacher intersect with the institutional pressures she faces to create particular educational experiences for students? I think you might use Miller to help you frame this discsussion. It's a tricky one, because teaching style is so intangible, but I think it's also highly worthwhile. I'm curious to see where you'll take it.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger elizabeth said...

all your comments are encouraging...thank you! I am not sure if I am going to set this up in a manifesto or an institutional autobiography...I think I am now leaning toward the institutional autobiography, but I need to discuss further with my group. I am definetly focusing on the topic of teaching style affecting student learning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home