Inventing the Humanities

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Final Project/Writing Proposal

Final Projects/Writing Proposal

Although I have not yet finalized my “ideas” for the writing proposal, I do know that I will be creating a manifesto. There are very many good things that go on in today’s schools, but there are also so many things that need changing/ amending. My primary focus will probably be on “tracking” at the high school level and the responsibility of all parties (students, parents, administrators and of course, teachers) to the high school student’s successful outcome. No one wants to be held responsible anymore. Administrators, under the politically correct guise of equality in education, “randomly” (or not) create classroom rosters that make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Sadly, there are way too many parents who do not feel the need to supervise and encourage their high school students to do their best - as many of our classmates have already stated. I plan to explore these "ills” and make proposals for positive change based upon my experiences as a student, parent, and teacher.

4 Comments:

At 5:34 AM, Blogger georgia said...

this is a very large and difficult task and i hope you are able to recieve all neccessary information especially from the administrative point

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Barbara Buran said...

Tracking is certainly a controversial issue that many involved in education have an opinion about (often times conflicting). This sounds like it will be a great manifesto because of the layers of individuals involved in this particular educational issue.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Jason Tougaw said...

Sounds interesting! I agree with Georgia and Barbara that you'll need to be careful to do this in a manageable way. There's potentially a lot to say!

If I understand you, the argument is that "tracking" isn't working because individuals (parents, administrators, teachers?) are not taking enough responsibility. Do I have it right? It's an interesting argument, because I think many would argue that "tracking" is an oppressive practice already. Are you arguing that students need more supervision, or that current methods of tracking don't offer the right *kinds* of supervision? If it's the latter, what are the right kinds?

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger kcurtin said...

I agree with all that this is definitely a huge issue in our schools today. I also agree that ii is done incorrectlt. If these students are in fact supposed to be tracked, how exactly is that being done, and is it effective?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home