Inventing the Humanities

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Final Project

I am writing an Institutional Autobiography for my final project. I have always been annoyed when someone looks at how students behave in the classroom and comments, "In my days..." I would self righteously comment, "It is not fair to compare these students with the students of your time." Then they would get a lecture on the evils of this comparison. It was when I sat down to really think about my project, that I realized that I am guilty of some of the same things I am chiding others for. It was then that I realized how much my high school education has influenced my expectations in the classroom. I have started examining the voices of my education, and looking at how I had to rethink my norms, without, or possibly with compromising my standards, in order to be effective in the classroom.

4 Comments:

At 3:33 AM, Blogger Brian Kelly said...

Great lead in for the topic. "In my day" can be a dangerous phrase of complacence. It will be an interesting journey through the voices of education to see jow much you'll feel moved to change. The 'expectations' that came from your high school days will be the key - were theose expectations teacher-driven or self-driven?

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Jason Tougaw said...

I think it would be great to begin this with a brief scence in which someone shares an "in my day" story with you. The key will be showing how you came to discover you're guilty of similar thinking as well as developing a clear picture of the institutional differences between your high school and the one where you teach. How are the teaching practices diffrent? How different are they? Where's the overlap? How does all this related to the student population? To evolving theories of education? Finally, think about a source or two that will help you frame the discussion and get to some real analysis and reflection. Miller? Rodriguez?

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Vanesa Katz said...

I like the comparisons you set up - you'll have plenty of experiences to draw from, both inside and outside the classroom. The idea of having to compromise in order to be effective: does that come from your own expectations about your work, from the insitution or from both?

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Lisa Vaia said...

I am very interested to hear how your high school experiences in another country compare to ours here. Raised in NY, a product of the public schol system here, my experiences are limited. How different is the schooling system where you are from? How do you feel you have to "rethink norms" in order to be "effective in the classroom?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home