Inventing the Humanities

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Definitions of Diversity

I plan to take Rodriguez's cue and discuss the tensions between public and private. As a white hispanic with a Jewish last name, I am often baffling to institutions (and the individuals within them) whose definitions of diversity do not account for someone like me. As this would be an instutititional autobiography, I'll examine how color, language and culture play out at institutions where I've been a student and an instuctor. I'm not really sure whether this is enough, but I'm still sorting out ideas about the paper.

2 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger Brian Kelly said...

It could definitely be enough - you have the opportunity to write the same story from 4 different perspectives, if you chose that style. Regardless, you have an insight into how people approach different races within one institution - as a student and as a teacher. Did your experience affect how you approach students?

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Lisa Vaia said...

I think it's enough too! Rodriguez spoke about how institutions sought to pigeon hole him, but he didn't fit their limited (and often racist) definitions. I think he, as you said you do too, baffled them. I am curious to hear more about how this has affected you as as student and a teacher. I know you teach at LaGuardia, and I imagine that has an extremely diverse population.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home